Friday, August 20, 2021

DFI - Week 4 - Dealing with Data

Google Forms

Here is a simple Google Form for students to sign-in to our online classes. The timestamp in the Responses Google Sheet will help show when they arrived. The form has a simple Yes/No option to upload work to be shared / reviewed. If they choose yes it progresses to the section with two ways of uploading, via G Drive or add a text share link. 

I cannot embed this form here because it has an upload option. 

The branching sections options based on the user's input (e.g. if they choose a particular radio button) has given me an idea to create a finite state automata like a choose your own adventure branching narrative. I have previously asked students to use Code.org App Lab to make these. But perhaps a Google Form could be easier. They could plan it with a LucidChart which could also to teach flow charts. I know this has been popular to do in Google Slides.

I found this video on Youtube: https://youtu.be/creCud8dbFk


Hapara Hot Tips -

I appreciate the slideshow still want to work through a range of Hapara Tutorials

MyMaps - Drones Airshare

Mymaps.google.com is very useful. Here is a drone flight map I made which has approximately the same info for safe drone flight, which I found using the AirShare app. I had to go through a process to allow the Mavic Air 2 drone to be able to fly within the school area (under Shielded Operation).


Drones & AI

I am currently using Droneblocks.io with a Tello Drone. This is useful because they have a simulator for students to practice and test out their coding first before they launch the missions on the real drones. My big hairy audacious ambitious project is to get senior NCEA students to code AI with OpenCV so the drones can use facial recognition. This Youtube video covers similar content to the paid DroneBlocks curriculum.




The YT algorithm then fowarded me to a cool open source project to 3D print an open source robot and use arduino and RaspberryPi to make an AI robot with the inMoov Project.


These would be cool applied Computational Thinking projects. My WHS STEM colleagues already do a cardboard robot hand and Aleta Chowfin at Grey High already has a focus of coding and making something like this. However, I still have a challenge of repairing / servicing our school's 3D printer.

Google Sheets

I thought the intro to sheets was quick and comprehensive. For my own analysis of student NCEA data I was given a good tip to try Google Data Studiohttps://datastudio.google.com/

Super Spreadsheets 4 - share link

Blog Posts Analysis of Molly's Blogs from 2016-2021

Sheet data


Column Chart



Stacked Column



Blog Posts Comments - Feedback Tips

Positive, Thoughtful, Helpful - Constructive feedback to encourage discussion, 
Compliment Sandwich - 2 Likes and a wish.

Blogging - Writing quality blog comments - Kerry

Ngā tākupu papai - Quaility blog comments - te reo

Uses standard HTML hyperlink tag structure:

<a href="insert URL here">Insert display text here</a>


1 comment:

  1. Kia ora Matt, a really in-depth post this week - ka rawe! It's great to have you back on board with the DFI this term. I really enjoyed reading about the links you made between the content of DFI and what you are already doing in your kura.
    Vicki

    ReplyDelete