Monday, September 6, 2021

DFI - Week 7 - Ubik Devices - DDDO - 3D VR & AR

Ubik - by Phillip K Dick

UBIK

In terms of ubiquitous apps for accessible and always on learning that is device agnostic, I have been using Aframe.io for students to code VR 3D spaces and 360 VR Tours. This can be used with any device that has internet access because it is an online IDE with links to Github called https://glitch.com/. It involves writing HTML with extra AFrame.io tags, such as <a-sphere>, which can be referenced from the documentation.

For differentiation I have introduced non-coders to CoSpaces.io/edu/ which is a proprietary block based visual IDE. To make /view the 3D work people can use a platform specific app for Android, iOS or on desktop/Chromebook they can login to the main website

3D for the Samsung - Solve for Tomorrow Competition

TinkerCAD Tiny House

My 7-8 STEM class has been designing 'tiny houses' to solve the housing crisis using TinkerCAD.com. Some have asked about using FloorPlanner.com which is a great way to visualise the interiors. They can easily drag and drop / move and resize walls, windows and furniture.

My 9-10 Computing class also has been trying to use Design Thinking to enter the competition. They have been working on SketchUp for Schools. SketchUp also has available furniture through the 3D Warehouse marketplace.

My 1213DTHM class has used TinkerCAD and MagicaVoxel (not suitable for Chromebook). Today, whilst looking for a Chromebook app to do 3D modelling and animation I stumbled across Vectary.com

This looks promising but has an expensive license if you want AR. So much so that it makes CoSpaces licenses seem affordable by comparison.



Here is something I tested and tried to export with iframe embed. Vectary charge more money for publishing publicly which is another negative. In comparison, CoSpaces does allow you to archive student work and move the licenses to a new cohort of students for Tech option rotation classes.



Digital Dig: bit.ly/DFIdigitaldig

My Slides:


Hāpara: Cyber Smart Online Resources

I've created a page of resources. For the Hāpara Workspace I've searched shared sites and will copy one of these and adapt it. I liked how you can copy multiple items into a library of clipboard items and add them to another workspace quickly.


I had always found the way the Hāpara added images in an arbitrary way from links and uploads to be annoying. So I was pleased to hear that I can edit these to be bespoke images, so thanks Vicky for mentioning that. 

 This YT Video shows how and to help other teachers to create card images there is this slide deck: https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1PPHpoTIYoHgn1-j3k1Xx72VHvB4z6kQMUxN92rotW4s/edit?usp=sharing 

Blog Spot Side Bar Gadget

I've thought this to be useful so I've added my Google Sites Learning Sites sub pages links (see right - Class Links)


2 comments:

  1. Kia ora Matt,
    That new gadget on the side of your blog with your links to your learning sites looks great. I've had a bit of a look through the Cybersmart and digital citizenship page you've set up. This looks like a great resource, is this something that is happening across the board at your school? Or is it just within the tech department?
    Vicki

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Matt

    It looks like you are doing some super cool work with your junior students in Tinkercad. Do you give the year 7/8s a template to start with in Tinkercad for their tinyhouse project?
    Does your school have to pay a licence for SketchUp or do you only have to register as an educational institution? I couldn't access the app so I'm assuming it's different to Googel SketchUp?

    Have you got any student examples anywhere you could share? I'd love to see their creations :)

    ReplyDelete